Friday, January 29, 2010

Numero Uno

Schnee. (German)
Snow. (English)

Lots of it. At least it's a lot for Tennessee. Businesses have gone into hibernation, gigs (including one of mine) have been cancelled, and roads have all but ceased to exist. So I'm cozy in bed, starting the blog that I had promised myself would be up a month and a half ago. Snow is rattling against the window screens and the kitties' ears are cold.


Although, it would have been difficult to drag me out of bed snow or not. I played at Liquid Smoke in Murfreesboro for the first time last night and - ding ding ding- drinks were on the house. Now, I'm usually pretty responsible when it comes to mixing gig with beverage. But this does not happen in Nashville. I have played many a thankless, perkless gig in this town (not that I'm complaining, everybody must pay their dues), so any perk is glorified just by it's mere existence. Needless to say, I lived it up after my job was done. Mmmm 1554 you are delicious.

So.

Today's word of the day is Groovy. Why? Because this particular word is particularly accurate in describing the essence of Liquid Smoke. The sound system is a little lacking, so it's not so much a venue, but it is one hell of a cool place to hang out. A couple of cabinets full of cigars hang out amongst the shag-carpeted walls, laid-back twenty-somethings, and local-artist paintings. There is even a cozy little board-game filled chill room in the back. I approve, and will definitely be back.

The wonderful fantastic 247 , who got me the gig, came out and did a set as well. Click the link to check out his myspace. He's also on youchoob.

Stay cozy.
Mandy Cook

2 comments:

  1. snow indeed. i hope we don't get any...but tomorrow morning, i'll probably wake up to a white blanket.

    Liquid Smoke sounds like my kind of place. Can't wait to get to Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow kicked our asses a bit here in KY too...I love, love, love Tennessee...one of my favorite beautiful places in this world...rocker chick, eh? Neat-o!

    ReplyDelete